Welcome to the Developmental Educators Australia Inc (DEAI) Website.
The DEAI website is currently undergoing an overhaul; please stay tuned for a fresh and modern new look with quick links and easier navigation.
The DEAI is the professional association representing the diverse and dynamic profession of Developmental Education. Developmental Educators are multi-disciplinary disability specialists, having completed a four year Bachelor of Disability and Developmental Education (or equivalent). Developmental Educators are Allied Health Professionals who have roles in a variety of disability, human service, mental health, and educational settings, in the State and Federal Government, and non-government sectors.
The DEAI is striving to achieve national recognition of Developmental Educators and welcomes membership from all degree level trained Developmental Educators or disability professionals with equivalent qualifications from across Australia and Internationally.
Click here to read the Constitution Developmental Educators Australia Incorporated
Why join the DEAI?
- We represent the profession of Developmental Education to Government and non-government agencies, and key stakeholders in an effort to further the professional profile and career opportunities of Developmental Educators.
- We aim to achieve common registration for all Developmental Educators and establish a national association network in Australia for Developmental Educators.
- We provide an accessible forum and networking / meeting place for Developmental Educators.
- We organize regular professional developments for Developmental Educators (DEAI Calendar of events for 2016)
- We promote the highest standard of professional conduct and practice of Developmental Educators through upholding the Code of Ethics and Practice for Developmental Educators and coordinating the Continuing Professional Development program.
- We maintain the professional standards for entry into the profession.
- We provide members services and benefits, including the Members Area.
The DEAI has strong links with Disability and Community Inclusion, Flinders University, who offer the Bachelor of Disability and Developmental Education (BDDE)(including Honours), Graduate Certificates in Disability Studies, and Master of Disability Policy and Practice, in internal and external modalities. To learn more about these studies please visit http://www.flinders.edu.au/courses/undergrad/bdcr/. If you are interested in having a BDDE student on placement, please contact Charmaine Mahar on email@example.com.
The skills, knowledge and expertise of Developmental Educators enable them to practice within the NDIS model of service. For specific information on Developmental Educators and the NDIS, visit the NDIA Guide to Suitability for Providers and visit the DEAI web page HERE.
Further information about Developmental Educators can be found in this short Disability & Community Inclusion Unit Developmental Education Video, in the Developmental Education Discipline Profile or the Flyer for parents and people with disability.
For regular updates on disability information, events, resources, professional development and vacancies for Developmental Educators and BDDE students, please see the ‘News’ and ‘Members Area’ section of this website. Last updated on 19th Jan 2016.
Regular up to date information presented by the Developmental Educators Australia Incorporated body. News, events, annual meetings, awards nights, industry standards and advancements.News
Developmental Educators work across the lifespan to help improve the quality of life for individuals with varying abilities.About Developmental Educators
Membership is open to all degree-level trained Developmental Educators who agree to abide by the Code of Ethics of the DEAI, as revised from time-to-time and circulated to all Members.Membership